Art, Artists, Mallee, Photography

On a Similar Note

I have just got home, and found an email to say that some of my work has been accepted into a show and I have until next week to come up with an artist statement, I knew it was coming, and have been working on it slowly.  I really need to refine it now and work out exactly what my work is about.

I have not been responding the comments from yesterday.  I agree with some, and disagree with others.  Some make me angry, and some are lovely.  I decided that the best thing to do was just to approve them, and you can all make of them what you want.

I am not doing anymore today, sorry, I haven’t even had time to unpack my laptop yet, not that I really took any photos while I was away.  It was lovely just catching up with my mum and taking it easy.  I did make some costumes, so it was productive.  It was a great trip on another level, but more about that another day.

Leanne Cole - Princess taking a Break.

Leanne Cole – Princess taking a Break.

Just quickly, I had this image printed on the fine art paper, and it is so beautiful.  Getting images printed is always fantastic,  I hope Alannah loves it too.

1. Congratulations on the show and good luck with your artist’s statement. No need to respond. Your post yesterday and all of the comments it inspired made very interesting reading! I think what you need now is some quality silence and head space! :)

2. johnholding says

An exhibition, congrats, let me know when and where Leanne.

• It isn’t anything fancy, it is a show at Camberwell Girls Grammar in August, so it should be nice, but also my target audience, so I hope the work will be popular. Thanks John.

3. Wonderful about the show! Now, go unpack, and have a cup of tea, and settle your brain a bit… The Blog World can wait a while! :D

• Hahaha, how funny, as I come to respond, I am in fact having a cuppa tea. It can wait, and I have realised recently sometimes it does just need to do that. Thank you.

4. Best wishes on being accepted into the show. I don’t often comment, but I do like to see your work. Get that artist’s statement written and tell what is your main focus as an artist. I’ve helped my artist friend with hers as well as a proposal for a show. I know how important it is. Best wishes!

• Thank you, it is important, I have some more things I want to put in applications for, so it is important to get it right. I really need to get it worked out. I’ve been given so much support here and that has been wonderful.

5. Palimpsest says

That must have felt good, even if the artist statement is daunting. I love your portraiture it’s beautiful and empowering, you seem to me to be retelling fairytales (contemporary and traditional) with the princess as the hero. Congratulations on the show.

• Thank you, it is just hard because you have to work out what you want to say which also means working out what your work is about. That is a nice idea retelling faerie tales. I like that.

6. How exciting about the show! I hope you get everything done with a minimum of brain drain :) Congrats again..oh and the picture above is dreamy..the colors of warmth and comfort for me :)

7. Congratulations Leanne. Your work is soon going to get the attention it deserves. As for those comments – there always seem to be people around who can never say a good word. It is the green horns of jealousy methinks.

• Thank you Colline, I think what I wasn’t expecting was that everyone would put all types of photography into the same basket as though they are all exactly the same. They are different. It doesn’t make anyone of them less valuable, but I was trying to explain the type of image that would go into a gallery, that collectors would buy, and that got lost, oh well. Some people only see what they want.
      I hope the work does get some attention, I really love it, so I would like that. Thanks again.

8. artscottnet says

congratulations! Best wishes with the artist statement!

9. Brilliant news about the show …. Congratulation and you’re truly worth it – this photo here is fantastic, love you have caught the light in the stairway and in her wait dress … fantastic job.

• … now it happen again, her white dress – it should have been of course. When will I learn not to post so quick.

• Thank you Viveka. She loved this photo which is part of the reason I got it printed. It is for her birthday, a bit late, but still, I am sure she won’t mind.

• I’m sure she will love it … what a fantastic present.
        I just love how you have caught the light … only thing is that she looks a bit sad – but maybe that is a model expression those days. I never see any happy or smiley faces … in any magazines those days. They all look so angry, depressed or bored.

• I don’t think she looks sad, she has a smurk on her face, and the way she is looking at me, gives some attitude. Take another look, there is a bit of a smart alec there.

• Yes, you’re right … she looks a bit cheeky – and she has a little grin on her lips. Sorry, for getting that totally wrong.

• That is okay Viveka, sometimes we see one thing, and I think you are used to seeing that in my photos, but she was being quite cheeky, and I was so glad to have caught that, cheeky is definitely the right word for it.

10. Sonel says

Just do what Alannah is doing Leanne (take a break, princess) and I just love that photo and I know she will too. :D
    Re the comments of your previous post. I went back and read a few of them and the only advice I can give you there is to take it from whom it comes hon. Yes, there are some good photographers out there but there’s no “soul” in their images…and you’ll know that I am talking about because that is what you have in your photography hon. A beautiful photo means nothing if it doesn’t make you “feel” something…and I’ve seen a few of those. Their photo’s have lovely colours and composition but there’s absolutely no feeling there. So, let them have their own opinions and let them take whatever you said the way they want to see or read it. It’s their opinions. You just keep on doing what you’re doing and know you are doing a great job! I love your photo’s and congrats on the show hon. It will be a huge success! :D *big hugs*

• Thank you so much Sonel, I think when I made the decision not to respond to the comments, that is what I was thinking, though you have made me realise that. I also realise that with some people, it does not matter what I say, they won’t understand what I am getting at. I do understand how the art world works, I have been in it, I was trained in it, so people telling me that I don’t know what I am talking about was a little insulting. So thank you for this, it really does mean a lot. you are so wonderful. :)

• Sonel says

Oh, you will always get those kinds of insults Leanne, doesn’t matter what you do. What I’ve noticed is that those kinds of people feels threatened because the minute you do something that is not in “their” point of view it means that changes are coming and they don’t like that. With your beautiful work you are certainly going to bring a change in the world of photography and well, that scares them. You take care hon and just keep on doing what you love. Here are a lot of us that do really love your work, so you just keep on going. :D *big hugs*

• I think you are right about that. That is wonderful to hear, it is nice to find that many people care about what I am doing, that means so much. Thank you and massive hugs back. :)

• Sonel says

You are welcome hon and you will find the majority lies in the ones that do love your photography. So why care about the ones who don’t? Just as long as you are having fun and what is more fun than creativity? *big hugs*

• Sonel says

Don’t try…do it. See their “disapprovement” as their own incapability to create something beautiful. :D *hugs*

11. Tricia SweetRascal Photos says

What exciting news! Congratulations. Defining yourself in a concise statement is much harder than one would think. Good luck and let us know what you come up with. ~Tricia

• Thank you Tricia, I will let you know, I will probably publish here first, not sure. It is definitely a hard task. It means I have to really know what I am doing.

12. Congrats Leanne! Rude comments? I can’t understand that – if you have nothing good to say about what the site owner has posted, then simply click away.

• Thank you John, I suspect, that I shouldn’t have asked people for their thoughts, I won’t make that mistake again.

13. Congratulations on the show, that’s fantastic! Good luck with your artists statement, I’m sure the right words will come to you! :)

14. Congrats! Well deserved. And pay no attention to the negative comments…you do great work.

• Thank you Leah, it wasn’t that they were negative, but more that they really didn’t understand what I was talking about. There are many different types of photography, and that doesn’t seem to be understood.

15. Johann Briffa says

Congrats on being accepted for the show, and best wishes for the artist’s statement. I admire your courage with your last post in risking such strong opinions from people. Personally, I tend to go with the definition that ‘fine art’ is something that is done purely for its aesthetic value (as opposed to having a more practical function, such as documentation in the case of photography). Which seems not too far from your point of view. And I stress I’m not a professional artist!

• Thank you, I think I need all the luck I can find for the artists statement, haha.
      I am not sure courage was the right word for the post, or stupidity. I won’t make the same mistake again. For me art images as those that galleries would show, that people would buy because they won’t to collect your work. For the two images I posted the first, a gallery would dismiss it, there are probably thousands of images like that around the world, but the second image is more unique and it is more likely that a gallery would show that. There is more intention to the image, and I am trying to express something more. For me, that is exactly what fine art photography is, is about that path, getting it into a gallery. Finding people who want to collect your work. Which isn’t that different to what you have said. Thank you so much for your comment, it means a lot.

16. That really is a fantastic image, Leanne. I’m sure Alannah will love it. Congrats on the show!

• Thank you, I have been dreading writing it, but it seems the time is here to get stuck into it.

17. Terrific news about the show Leanne ! What a lovely thing to find in your email box !
    I’ve no doubt you will come up with your Artist Statement . I think you’ve had quite a bit of practice @ explaining and honing your descriptive skills here on your blog for starters Lol

• Thank you Poppytump, I am kind of excited about it. It was great, I had forgotten all about it. It should be the perfect audience for the work, a school for teenage girls, my target audience. I am allowed to show 4 images.
      I hate writing artist statements, but a few people have offered to help, so I should be able to come up with something pretty incredible. I haven’t checked my mail box yet, but will let you know if there is something there.

18. mikew66 says

Good Luck with the show …..very exciting

• I am not sure it is a breakthough, but it is a great start. A breakthrough will happen when I get accepted into a national art prize, that will be something. I am happy with this though, means my work might be accepted. Thank you.

19. Whoa this is exciting news Leanne!! Congratulations, it’s time for much deserved recognition for your work – I’m thrilled for you. You have an incredible statement to be told, it will come together easily – the world will be your oyster. Best wishes ~

• I so wish that were true Mary, I spent all day yesterday working on it, got something, but not sure it is nearly good enough. Art speak is so hard. I am happy to have got work into a show. It may not be a really classy one, but it is a start. Thanks

20. Yeah! I’m so glad about your show! Your picture is adorable, and Princess A will love it. Happy birthday to her. Lots of love, M

• It is exciting, it will be nice to get some work into a show and start getting some current exhibitions on my CV, it is looking a little old at the moment. Thank you.

21. Huge congrats Leanne!!
    It is exciting to be accepted to an exhibition… wishing you all the very best!

22. Congratulations! Doing a show is a lot of work, but it’s an even harder type of work to do the ‘artist statement’! I’m sure you’ll get it right, Leanne, as you’re such a detail-oriented photog! Sounds as if the travel may have tired you out a bit, so rest well…and long!

• Oh yes, the artist statement, is really hard. The trip was great, it was so wonderful sitting around doing nothing. It was so relaxing. Thank you 1000

23. Great news for you! Good luck with your artist statement…if I’ve understood correctly not an easy thing to do…you’ve got to get inside yourself and discover where you’re going and why! Bon chance though I don’t think you need it! :-)

• Yes, that is it exactly, I know what I am doing and I know what I like doing, but to describe it in art speak, well that is a whole other thing. Thanks, I am terrible at writing them. LOL :)

24. Congrats Leanne on the show! I’m glad you got your mum to help you with some of the costumes. Did you get the cloaks made? I have to make a new one for my daughter for her trip to Universal Studio, she is dressing up as a Ravenclaw student from Harry Potter. She does like to go in character, but no cheap costume will do for her; she wants a real one. Now if I could just find a pattern. May have to make it up. :-)
    Don’t let the naysayers get you down.

• Thanks Darla. I didn’t get the cloak made, I didn’t have enough fabric in the end. I managed to get a cloak from ebay for next to nothing, and certainly a lot cheaper than I could make it, so that might have to do for now. It is black with purple lining. I think it will be a hit with the girls, so I might try that for a while and maybe later on try making another one. I would love to have a deep red one. Don’t the cloaks from Harry Potter have arms, or am I just imagining that. I am sure you can get patterns though. Good Luck.

• You need to keep on the look out for fabric on sale, it you get it cheap enough, you can make it cheaper (not easier, but cheaper) Just remember it takes about 6 yards of 60″ fabric.
        Yes, the Harry Potter ones have arms and they are lined with the color of the house. I think she is in Ravenclaw. I found a diagram that someone made, I can’t seem to find a pattern. Of course, I haven’t been to a fabric store to look, but if I can make it without a pattern that will save me $7 bucks.

• Have you looked on the internet, people often have patterns that you can just have, I am sure you have looked. I think one of the great things with what I am making is that they don’t really have to look great, I can rid of any imperfections on the computer, so that is good, I can sew but I am not a patient sewer, is that the right word, LOL.
        I found a couple of links for you

• LOL, these were actually some of the same sites I went too! I did get a diagram off a different one that I think I can duplicate with no trouble. I’m pretty good at making stuff up. I used to go to stores when my girls were little and see dresses I couldn’t afford and come home and duplicate them using a pattern that I had that was pretty close. I would just get the same type of fabric and tweak the pattern. Did pretty good at it sometimes. (as long as you didn’t look too closely)

• I am sure you will make something really good, it sounds like you are really handy with that sort of thing.

25. Congratulations, Leanne! You deserve it. I hope you become very well-known and get lots and lots of paid work. Everyone should know your photos!

• That is so nice, thank you, I really hope you are right and it does happen, that is the goal. Thank you so much.

26. Congrats on the show Leanne…your work is fabulous you deserve to be in many shows!!! love the photo of Alannah…so beautiful, she will love it as well!

• Thank you Heather, I really hope so, I love having work in exhibitions. She loves that photo as well, she was great to photograph and wants me to take more, now that is saying something, I used to have a lot of trouble photographing her.

27. Great news about the show :) I had a quick look at yesterday’s post, and will go back… but just wanted to say, as a (very casual) photographer, I’ll never need to write an artist’s statement… :) My belief is let people kid themselves if that’s what they want… so long as you are true to yourself :)

• They are hard to write, and they have to be fairly short, I have one now, so that is great, I am already to enter a couple of comps, and get work ready for this other thing as well. Haha, it is actually not a bad thing to do, to write one as you really have to be able to say what your work is about. It can be very helpful. Thanks EllaDee.

28. Congratulations, that is wonderful news! I hope the exhibition is a complete success for you. Is it an exclusive show or a collaboration with other artists? Either way, it is wonderful! :)

• It isn’t so much an exhibition, more a show, and many artists will have their work in it, I don’t know how exclusive it all is, I did have to submit work for consideration. Thanks Colin.

29. Congratulation on your show. I’m sure you will do great. Your photos are awesome..

30. I “had” been an admirer for quite some time, but i have problems with those “like” button, I just don’t like ’em. So I just visited and saw… besides there were times when nothing seemed to happen around here. And just now I saw my reader stream… to put it in a simple way: I am in awe.

Lately I’ve been feeling like a zombie with cameras, now I think I have to do some revisiting.

Thank You.

• Haha, the like button, some love it some don’t. Sometimes it just isn’t appropriate.
      thanks for revisiting,