Architecture, Melbourne, Photography

ReWorking an Impressionist View of a Boardroom

A week or so ago I did a post on Monet and his influence on me.  With the post I put up the following image from the boardroom at the  Manchester Unity Building.

Waiting for the MeetingI like the image, but I did it quickly and it wasn’t until afterwards that I realised the blue lines.  I didn’t like those and decided that I would have to try and get rid of them.  I also felt the lights were too dominant, so I thought if I redid it that I would fix those things.

Waiting for the Meeting - ReworkedThe reworked has been cropped a little differently as well.  The lights are not sticking out as much, and I think that is much better.  The blue lines are now white and they stand out less, which is what I had tried to achieve.

I took my time doing this rework, and I think it worked far better because of it.  I like how the emphasis is more on the table and the leather chairs around it.  You can see the grain in the table more as well.

The rework has given the image a different look and I think it works far better than the first attempt.

The weekend is upon us again and I would like to try and get out to take come photos, but we are in the middle of a heat wave.  Seems we are setting new records, if the weather forecasts are correct then we can expect very hot weather until Wednesday next week.  I think we are all over it now, looking forward to some cooler days.

1. Yes, I see what you did and agree it’s better. Dimming the lights also changed the light quality from warm yellow to a cooler white. The light reflection on the chairs isn’t as dominant either. And the blue lines, I didn’t notice them the first time but yeah, they had to go!

You are a wizard.

2. Sujay says

Love the shot. Boardroom’s are usually dull places but this one is pretty awesome!

• Thank you, and I know what you mean, I am looking forward to the first frost. Please, winter, arrive early.

3. stebaxter says

I am also loving the building shots. They somehow seem to make the place seem both warm and cold at the same time … if that makes any sense

4. tripodtrippin says

An excellent rework on the image, Leanne. More subtle colouring and clarity. I’m loving your boardroom photos as it reminds me of the first job I had when I left school at 16 (1966). I was a housemaid in a large mansion on a private island in Shetland and the furniture was carved and highly polished and the seats/couches were leather. Very much like these but smaller – the only place like it in Shetland (apart from the Town Hall. LOL!) I love your work and learn so much from you. Thanks again. Anne.

5. I actually loved the first shot, but my eyes were automatically drawn to the blue lights and the bright glow on the table. In the second shot it’s all about the chairs and table. And you’re right, it is much better, more interesting and the subtle glow enhances the beauty of the entire room. Very nicely done.

6. It’s amazing how small things totally change a picture. I liked both of them, but now I think the second one feels more gothic and serious, while the first version seems more modern (and “Blade Runner” keeps flashing into my mind :D)

7. I like what you did with the photo.
    Come and pay us a visit in Belgium. This weekend temp is going down again with rain…:-(

• Wouldn’t that be wonderful, I wish it was possible. We have to settle for air conditioning and keeping cool.

8. Pingback: Influenced by the Masters « VisualFling

9. I’m back! I hope you have missed me *laughing.
    Love the room of power – do be honest I have never notice the blue lines neither – and I think the change is much better. You take amazing architectural photos and I think you should go down that road completely – did you check out the link about one of the most famous architectural photographers in the world and of course he are Swedish

10. Just had a random thought from this image. Wonder how many women have sat in these chairs in positions of power?

11. sunmallia says

Love how you reworked this it is beautiful. You do have a way with seeing light!

12. Pingback: Here Comes the Second One! (^_^) | Mahoor Jamal

13. They are some lovely images Leanne I think so far ur my biggest follower so thank you !

Nice to have you comment

Grant

14. I enjoyed your thoughts on the process! Is it corny to say to a photographer that you have a beautiful eye?

• No, I think a photographer is the only person who won’t think you are giving them a line, so thank you.

15. casandralee says

The rework gives the boardroom a certain feel. Perhaps one of impending doom by the power that sits around the table. Lovely!

• casandralee says

The chairs are very much challenging each other.

16. Looks great :) I grew up in Southern California, right by where the desert is, and we would have 110 degree weather! Granted it would be dry weather so it was a little easier, but we would spend days indoors with all the curtains drawn! HAHA! Hope you get cooler weather soon! Should be getting to you soon!