Christmas Hotting Up

Today I have included a video down the bottom, well more audio, it is a Christmas song which seems very appropriate right now.  So please play it while you look at the post.

As I said yesterday it is hot here today.  It is currently 37 C (98.6 F) and very dry.  The dry is good, but the hot is not.  We went into the city before lunch and I couldn’t believe how long the queues for the Myer windows were.

Myer QueueAll the people looking away are all the people waiting to see the windows.

End of the QueueThis is near the end of the queue.  It went a long way.  I was hard to understand people standing for so long in such heat.

Elf's giving out informationThere were some elves at the City Square handing out some cards to kids.  I think it had some activities on it for kids to do in the square.

Elf with the MobileHere is another elf taking a small break and chatting on her phone.  Who knew that Elves were up with Modern Technologies.

Portrait with the ElfThis woman gave me her camera and asked me to take her photo with the Elf, and I couldn’t resist taking a shot with my camera as well.  She seemed to be enjoying the atmosphere.

In the SwimThere is the City Square, you can see the tree, next to it is this little water feature. With it being so hot today lots of kids were jumping in and paddling in the water.  It was quite cute watching.  I was also a little envious, I wouldn’t have minded jumping in as well.

Federation ForestThis display is at Federation Square.  It was a rather bizarre display.  I didn’t really get it, though it may not have been a Christmas thing.  There was a sculpture show on, so it was probably part of that.

Relaxing in Fed SquareThere were a whole heap of deck chairs set up in front of the stage and large television.  My husband was sitting in one of them and said they were very comfortable .

The lighting is quite strange, but I have to say, it was kinda of like that.  It was getting very overcast and I think a cool change was on its way.  The light can be very weird it is that hot and a change of weather is happening.

I hope you have enjoyed the daylight version of Christmas in Melbourne, it is hot, it is exhausting, it is busy.  so many people looking for last minute gifts and trying to get away from the heat.

I hope you have found somewhere cool.

1. Having grown up and lived most of my life in the northeastern part of the US, I find it hard to imagine Christmas without cold weather and snow. I did enjoy the music though. A very nice touch. I guess it all depends on what you’re used to.Merry Christmas to you and family and friends.

• Yes, I guess it does jaggh53163, I find it hard to think of it being cold at Christmas, though it would be lovely to have snow then just once. Thank you and Merry Christmas

2. Enjoy that hot weather… 27F here just now with 2 inches on the ground. Brrr… Great shots as always.

• Wow that is cold, we are seeing one extreme to another. Thank you so much John, and thanks for supporting my blog, I would like to wish you a very Merry Christmas.

3. Just a simple act of appreciation for what you do…I am a perpetual novice with the camera, but am fascinated by your writing and spirit.
    May all your Christmas’ be bright.

• Thank you so much, what a wonderful thing to say, I do really appreciate it, and you have a very Merry Christmas. :)

4. gailkav says

I really enjoy your blog, Leanne. It is very hot here in QLD as well, given up hoping for a cool change at Christmas. great pics as always.

• Thank you very much gailkav, we are expecting a cooler day tomorrow 22, so it should be nicer. I hope you get something. Merry Christmas.

5. It’s cold and raining here in Sacramento, CA. Our Sierra Mountains have their fair share of snow. Less than 2 hours away folks are skiing. It’s hard to imagine the Christmas season in 98 degree weather. Your wonderful pictures are bringing that to all of us. Merry Christmas Leanne.

• Thank you Anne, I can imagine how strange it would seem, though completely normal for us. I would love snow though, one day maybe. Merry Christmas to you Anne.

6. I’ve never spent pre-Christmas in Melbourne – is a visit to see the Myer’s windows a new thing? I kept on thinking of the sales staff at David Jones, seeing all those people lined up outside and nobody coming in to buy from them!

Hope you had a southerly and that today is brilliant.

Merry Christmas!

• Visiting the Myer windows at Christmas has become a bit of tradition, I think it has been happening for about 57 years, or something like that. I don’t know what David Jones thinks about it, but it is easy to get through if you want to go in. You must see if you can come one year and see it all, it was spectacular this year.
      Thank you so much Wanderlust, it has cooled down, though no rain, you have a wonderful day tomorrow, Merry Christmas

7. I’ve enjoyed seeing Melbourne at Christmas time through your photos. Sure a lot different from Norway, or the Christmas you spent in Denmark. Have a Merry Christmas and a New Year with all the right lighting.

• It is very different kuwaitquilter, though I have some wonderful memories of our Christmas in Denmark. Thank you and you have a Merry Christmas as well.

8. Dear Leanne,
    here in Berlin, it is about 0 centigrade cold and snow is on the fir on my balcony.
    Oh dear, it is very hot in Melbourne. I like the elfs with short pants. It looks great.
    I wish you a good 4th advent, the best wishes to chrismas and greetings Susanne

• A white Christmas, how wonderful. It has been very hot, though very normal for this time of the year. I am glad you liked the elves. They were funny. I wish you a very Merry Christmas Susanne. Thank you.

9. I also liked the elf in shorts. In Sydney, it’s David Jones that puts on the lavish Christmas window displays every year. This year, my favourite window has a flock of singing sheep and a sheep dog – very Aussie. Thanks for visiting my blog and have a great (hot) Christmas!

• I have never seen the David Jones’s windows, I must come one year. That sounds great, I like the idea of it being very Aussie. You are welcome and thank you. Merry Christmas

10. Lovely. I feel warmer already. I’m always cold here now that December is ending. We have a few weeks of cold, and then it’s beautiful again. Always love your stories as well as your work, my friend, Leanne. Marsha :)

• It was too hot here Marsha. I don’t like it when it is that hot, it is so uncomfortable. Sounds like your weather is good, though it must get pretty hot there in the summer. Thanks Marsha, I already wished you a Merry Christmas, but hey I can do it again, Merry Christmas :)

• Sure, why not? Most of the year the weather here is nice, if you like hot weather. I don’t mind it because I can swim when it gets too hot. :) Marsha If you are busy tomorrow, I’ll touch base the next day. Don’t get too tired opening all your presents! :) Marsha :)

• Thanks babe :), we have a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle lined up for tomorrow, we all love puzzles so now we try and see if we can do one in a day, keeps us all together, which is nice. I hope you have a great day as well. :)

• Oh what a great idea!!! I have a Twister game lined up, but the puzzle sounds SO much better! I think I’ll have V pick me up one for this afternoon. Love you!!! :)

• Hahaha, who knows, though I think she was just chatting during a break. It was a lovely photo, shame about the back ground. Thanks Marie, Merry Christmas

11. phrenzel says

Christmas and summertime,so foreign to me. Wouldn’t mind it mind you, sure dont like cold winter weather. Love seeing this part of the world at the holidays.

• I think it is one of those things where you want what you don’t have, I would love a white Christmas. I am so glad you have enjoyed Melbourne, thank you phrenzel, and Merry Christmas

12. I can’t hear Bing Crfosby singing that song without thinking of my grandfather as a young US Navy Seabee on Tinian for Christmas 1944. The big treat was everyone was given *one* beer!

13. I enjoyed listening to your audio while reading your post, a great touch…as always, wonderful photos! I had one Christmas many years ago in Florida and if I could have them all there I would! I’m not a fan of cold/snow, never have been…I always say I actually was supposed to have been born in the Caribbean or Florida, some where south and warm! I’ve been in Key West when it was 37…with the humidity it was difficult to do too much…with out the humidity I loved it!

• Thank you Heather, I have to say, I don’t like the cold, but I would like to have a white Christmas one year. I think it would be wonderful. Merry Christmas

14. White Christmas with snow storm and weather warning grade for 24 hours were I’m, here in the South of Sweden. They have told us to stay indoors … because it’s going to be dangerous out there.
    They don’t have to ask me twice.
    To stand in a heat like that to wait for Christmas display windows …. That is a true passion for Christmas. Really wired to see your photos with Christmas in such a heat.
    I would stay inside that Martini Bar … *smile
    Thank you so much for sharing your Christmas with us with snow in our world. Heartly thanks for that video .. adore that song and singer. Nobody can do it like him.

• I look forward to your Christmas photos Viveka. I am glad you are heeding their advice.
      I have to say I wouldn’t do it, stand in the heat like that unless I couldn’t avoid it. Getting there really early in the morning is the key if you really want to see them.
      I hope my Christmas photos have made you feel warmer, Merry Christmas to you.

• Looking at your photo … it made me sweat a bit – a bit too hot for my pleasure .. but outside here today .. is’t a bit too cold for my pleasure too. *smile

Christmas thoughts .. soon Santa will be knocking on doors. But first Disney’s Christmas Cards on TV:

15. Fantastic shots, Leanne. Particularly like the last two. I agree with you about the heat – I’d always rather it was cool.

• I don’t like the really really hot days we get. I suppose it won’t be long before we are seeing days over 40. Merry Christmas Richard, thank you for all your support, I hope you have a great Christmas.

16. Skip the window, a deck chair under the umbrella is far more preferable. :)
    Stay cool!

• My husband was thinking the same, he said he could have quite easily just gone to sleep there. Thanks David, and Merry Christmas to you and yours. :)

17. petit4chocolatier says

Beautiful pictures! Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones :)

18. Lovely to see so many out and about in that intense heat, Leanne! The pics are terrific…looks as if half of Melbourne is standing waiting for a peek at Myer!

Happy and Merry Christmas to you, hub and the beautiful girls…and may the New Year bring you more health and happiness than ever!

• I can understand why you would think that, I couldn’t believe they were standing there in the heat.
      Thank you so much 1000, Merry Christmas to you as well, I hope you have a wonderful day. Keep safe.

19. James Shannon says

Would love to bake in the 37c heat right now … it’s -20c without the windchill here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Enjoy the season! :)

20. Thank you, nothing brings Christmas home quite like Bing Crosby’s White Christmas does it. :-)

21. Queuing in that degree of heat is dedication. I would have been in the water feature cooling my toes like a child.

22. hutchphotography2020 says

Bing was the King of the Crooners. Thanks for sharing your shots. Too bad about the heat.

• Thank you Hutch, I do love that one song. The heat, well, to be expected and I am sure we will get a lot more and a lot hotter, we will get some very hot weather in the next month or two.

23. visualpoetryphotography says

Merry Christmas from Northern British Columbia, Canada. It’s a balmy -21C here!

24. Hoping your Christmas has been a joyful one, Leanne, and I am sorry I was not able to ship some cold to you!

• Haha, I think the only way to get some cold is to ship myself. Thank you so much Dave, we had a lovely day. I hope you have as well.

25. I love the second to last image! It has such an interesting contrast between the architecture and organic forms. And so many shapes!

Also, I hope you had a lovely Christmas :) I just got several feet of snow, so I could try to ship some to you in a cooler!. I won’t be needing quite this much of the stuff.