A slight detour today, back to the city. I took this image last Sunday while I was in the city, and I was really curious to see what I could do with it. I don’t normally do people, but I thought this guy was so interesting.
The curiousity came from the need to find out if I could apply some of the same processing techniques that I have been using on the images from the Mallee. I have done that, I don’t know how successful I have been, but I do like some aspects of this image.
I will admit that the orginal image was not great. I am not used to taking photos quickly of people. There was another image, but his hand was out of focus. I really should have used a faster shutter speed. It is interesting photographing subjects like this. I would never use this image for anything other than this blog, that is OK, it was a good exercise.
The original image looks crap now, well I think it does. I know there will be people who disagree, but what can you do. I do have to say I still am amazed when I hear people talking about images that have no editing as better. People have been editing images in the darkroom since photography started, but somehow that is OK, yet, if you do the same thing on the computer, then you are cheating. I suppose it is similar to the argument a few years ago, when digital cameras first started making an appearance and many said they weren’t real, and that true photography was using film.
I don’t care, really, I just want to produce the best image I can, if that means doing a lot of manipulation, then that is what I will do. I will do what it takes to make my images stand out from the thousands we see everyday. Sometimes I do a lot of editing, sometimes barely any, I let the image dictate to me what it needs. Okay, that is enough of that.
This image, is a single image, and it didn’t even occur to me to do a single image HDR, I just worked from the raw image. One of the first things I did was put in more detail and bring out the wrinkles in the man’s face. I wanted to show the signs of age and time.
I really wasn’t happy with the background and I did spend a lot of time changing and trying to make it disappear. There was a washed out section in the top left corner and I need to get rid of that. I did some patching and put more buildings in it and used another image to help me with it. I don’t know if it was really successful, but hopefully in the final image, you can’t really see it. I also needed to tone down the colour of the taxi, de-saturation seemed to be the answer there.
I may have been able to do more to the image, but for me, where it is right now is good. It is something I would like to try again. I would like to have got a better starter image and then to see what I could with it. I do like the detail that you can draw out. Can I add, we made sure we left money in his tin.
An update on the theatre stuff, I decided that I would withdraw my offer and told them the images were no longer available. The theatre has an official photographer and I told them that they should approach her. I should never have allowed myself to be put into that position. I was only down there to take photos for myself. So problem solved.